There are many different ways to start your career as a Virtual Assistant. The requirements of each company will differ in experience and required certification, skill set.
Therefore, the more you have to offer the better chance you will have of gaining employment. The question stands, what do you need to become a virtual assistant?
What items do you need to become a virtual assistant?
- Computer – A computer is an essential tool for your success as a Virtual Assistant. A PC, Mac or Laptop will all help you gain access to your own World Wide Web of success. Be sure to talk with your clients or employer if they have any requirements for the type of computer required.
- Internet – Having internet will help you keep in contact with your employer or clients via email as well as gain access to systems that they may have online.
- Phone – Another essential tool for staying in contact with your clients or employer. Having a cell phone or landline allows you to answer/ask questions in a timely matter.
- Multiple Web Browsers – Different systems will run faster on different web browsers. If you have various clients that use different systems having numerous browsers will help you find which one they work best on.
- A quiet place to work – Being able to work from home is one of the many advantages of being a Virtual Assistant. Ensure that you have a quiet, organized and personalized workspace to keep yourself productive.
- Pens or Pencils – Take notes! Always have a pen or pencil handy to keep records, phone numbers and anything you need.
- Notebook – Keep a notebook handy to write down things to do and people to call.
- Agenda/Planner – Keep organized! Whether it is on your phone, a book you keep or a poster on your wall, keep a calendar. Write down what you need to do, due dates and anything else you need to keep track of.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint – Whether you are writing blog posts on Word, doing petty cash in Excel or creating a presentation in PowerPoint a Microsoft subscription is essential.
- Google Documents
- Microsoft Outlook
What skills do you need?
As a Virtual Assistant, you will be contracted or hired by companies to complete various tasks. Some of these tasks may include researching, bookkeeping, project management, content creation, and social media management.
Having experience in these areas, among others, is extremely beneficial to your success as a Virtual Assistant! For example, it can help you in your search for work as a Virtual Assistant.
Aside from having the experience and skills, it can be very beneficial to have the proper certification.
To become a Certified Administrative Professional (CAP), you must take the CAP exam administered by the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP). For more information regarding the CAP exam and why you should take it .
One way to ensure that you have the right skills set for a career as a Virtual Assistant is to take a Virtual Assistant Course, so you are prepared to take a CAP exam.
The virtual Assistant crash course can give you a better understanding of how to perform different tasks. Moreover, it provides you with the training you need for the CAP exam.
CanScribe’s Administrative Assistant / Virtual Assistant Course is the only course that is recognized to prepare you for certification. You can find the requirements for this course here.
There are many different avenues that you can take to become a Virtual Assistant, and they all have different “needs.” Having the experience, skills, and certification will give you what you need to obtain employment or your first client as an independent contractor.