Your T2202A Student Tax Form Questions, Answered


It’s tax time again!

As the April 30 deadline approaches, many students are hastily getting their documents prepared for the tax season. If you attended an educational institution last year, you may be eligible to apply for education tax credits. CanScribe students and graduates have online access to their T2202A, making it quicker and easier for them to download and print at their convenience. Let’s go through the full details of the T2202A and how to access it.

What is a T2202A?

The T2202A (i.e., Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate) is an official income tax receipt issued by qualifying educational institutions for tuition, education and textbook tax credits that can be claimed on a personal income tax return.

According to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations, tuition and fees reported on a T2202A must exceed $100 and must relate to a course at the post-secondary level, or to training taken to obtain or enhance skills in an occupation.

How and when can I get my T2202A?

T2202A’s are available electronically on CanScribe’s Learning Platform no later than the end of February each year for the preceding taxation (i.e., calendar) year (e.g., by February 28, 2014 for the 2013 tax year). You can download your T2202A by logging in to the course website with your student login credentials. Your user name and password stays active even after graduation, which means you have access to your course page to download your tax form long after you graduate and are in your new career!

How do I print my T2202A?

To print your T2202A from CanScribe’s Learning Platform, follow these instructions:

  • Log into your account
  • On the homepage, click on the link “Canadian T2202A Tax Credit”
  • Select your course and the taxation year (for this year’s tax form, choose 2016)
  • Select “Generate Report”
  • With your computer connected to a printer, print a copy of your T2202A form

If you require assistance logging in to the course site, or have forgotten your username or password, simply contact Student Services via live chat or call 1-800-466-1535.

More T2202A FAQs

How do I get my T2202A if I don’t have access to a computer/printer?

If you cannot get access to a computer to print your T2202A, you may contact Student Services by phone, and a representative will mail a copy of your T2202A to your address on record.

Why doesn’t the amount on my T2202A match the amount I paid for my program/course?

The total amount of tuition and fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202A because not all tuition and fees are tax deductible. Also, the T2202A is based on the tax year (January to December) not from when you enrolled.

  • If the program you took started in one calendar year and ended in the next, the tuition paid will be pro-rated over the two calendar years for T2202A purposes.
  • T2202A tax receipts are issued for tuition and fees paid in respect of the calendar year. If you have not paid your tuition, the reporting of those unpaid amounts on your T2202A will be delayed.
  • The months reported on the T2202A are for each whole or part month in the calendar year you were enrolled as a full-time or part-time student.
  • For part-time status to be reported on your T2202A, you must have attended at least three consecutive weeks for at least 12 hours of instruction per month
  • Only tuition and fees greater than $100 are eligible to be reported on a T2202A.

What if a third party (e.g. my parents) wants to claim the amount on my T2202A?

The T2202A is always issued in the name of the student registered for classes. If you determine you are eligible to transfer tuition credits to a third party such as a parent, you may print the T2202A and sign the authorization on page two. Guidelines on transferring tuition credits can be found on the CRA website.

What if the address on my T2202A is incorrect? Do I need a new T2202A?

No. You may submit the T2202A information as received even if the address is incorrect. According to CRA regulations, it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202A with the income tax return but they must produce it if requested by CRA. Please contact SIAST Registration Services as soon as possible to change your address on record.

What if I have questions about completing my income tax return or tax deductions?

Even though we can’t provide advice on how you should complete your tax return, we can give you some helpful resources to visit for information. The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) has tax guides (e.g., P105 Students and Income Tax) along with many other helpful publications that can be obtained in person at any CRA office location, by visiting the CRA website, or by contacting CRA by phone at 1-800-959-8281.